Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Vulnerability

I've never been considered someone who was thin. I was by no means an overweight child, but I've definitely had wide hips and large thighs since puberty. As an adolescent, I was constantly comparing myself to my skinny friends, and would mentally beat myself up thinking I was "huge". I was always athletic, playing one sport or another year round and staying in good shape. But if I compared my actual weight or my jean size with my friends, I was always bigger... I'm not kidding about the muscular thighs and big hips thing. So I decided that I couldn't focus on a number on a scale. As long as I stayed active and ate my normal diet, I maintained a healthy weight for my body type and felt good about myself.

[Growing up: A girl with her yo-yo // Looking super cool on Christmas with my new coat, new rollerblades, and new Walkmen... maybe 3rd grade? // Boy band pose with my brother in 5th grade // Beach in summer after 8th grade // Senior pics]
Once I went to college, my normal routine dramatically shifted, and I started to gain weight. I went from all those years of playing a sport (soccer, intramural volleyball, track & field, or even taking dance classes) year round, to playing on a men's soccer team at my tiny Penn State branch campus that had no women's team. I lasted one semester at that campus before transferring to a campus a little closer to home and closer to Matt (my then boyfriend, now husband). I briefly looked into trying out for the women's soccer team there, but they had a really good reputation and I knew it would be a tough tryout, and I was intimidated. So I just stopped playing altogether.

Cue weight gain.

[Cruise in '08, Thanksgiving '09, Wedding in '10, Trip West in '12, Half Marathon in '14]
I've always considered myself a fairly healthy eater. I actually enjoy salads and generally eat a ton of fruit and vegetables. But I never in my life had to actually monitor what I was eating or how much I was eating, because I was always out-exercising my eating habits. Now I had basically stopped exercising, but continued to eat whatever I wanted. The number on the scale started to creep up and up.

This fall, it will be ten years since I went away to college. (Can I just take a moment and say how in the world has it been TEN YEARS?!) In the past decade, my weight has constantly fluctuated up and down. I go in cycles where I don't exercise at all and overeat, then join Weight Watchers and lose some of the weight, then start training for and run a half marathon and find myself in the best physical condition since I was high school, then gain all the weight back.

It's a constant battle for me.

But through it all, I maintained my stance that I couldn't just focus on a number on a scale and instead tried to focus on how my clothes fit, what I look like in the mirror, and how I felt.

Well, last summer, I started realizing I felt pretty damn bad. I was stressed and overwhelmed - we had picked up our life in Indiana and moved back to PA, and I was struggling with a deeply personal issue (more on that at a later date). I started to pack on some extra weight. Before I knew it, I was up almost 40 lbs, and was absolutely shocked when I finally stepped on the scale and saw that number.

I never in my life thought I would reach that weight. Not a great feeling.

I started to realize I didn't recognize the person I had become. Over the years I've perfected the way I position my body while looking at myself in the mirror or when posing for photos, but every once in a while I would catch a glimpse of myself in a candid photo, a dressing room mirror, or worse yet, a video taken by a friend or family member, and couldn't believe how far I had let myself go.

It was finally time to do something.

Two weeks ago, I decided I wanted to start running again. I've always liked running, and I'm fairly decent at it. I can go months without running at all, and then pick back up and go a few miles, no matter where I'm at physically. It's become my favorite form of exercise over the years, especially once I started training for a half marathon and running longer distances. I set a goal to run every day for ten days. My only rules were that I couldn't walk and that I had to do a minimum of two miles. It was tough at first, and I was painfully slow. But after a few days, I started to feel like my old self. The runs got easier, and my times improved. I went ten days and decided I would aim for two straight weeks of my daily runs. However, shin splints got the best of me. The night of my twelfth run, I lay in bed crying while Matt rubbed ice on my shins. It wasn't pretty. So I decided I needed a rest, so that's what I've been doing for the last three days. However, I'm proud of myself for making it twelve days, and know it's a step in the right direction. I needed something to get myself outside, shake off the winter blues, and start focusing on myself again.


[My twelve days of running.]

[Hahah... I need this shirt, stat.]

I recently read Shonda Rhimes' book, Year of Yes. It's a fantastic book, and in it she talks about her dramatic 100 lb + weight loss. One quote of hers that really hit me was this: "Spend your valuable years on this planet thinking about something other than your weight". I realized I have been focused on my weight and my body image for the majority of my life. How many hours had I wasted beating myself up over this? Countless. It was a freeing thought to think that I didn't have to waste anymore time on it. I can't totally let myself go and one day wake up at 700 lbs, but I needed a change in mindset. I know this whole issue with weight is something I'll have to work on for the rest of my life, but I think I'm finally at peace with it.




This is by no means going to become a blog about weight loss. I may write about my journey from time to time as a means of holding myself accountable and documenting my progress, but I'm so far from an expert that it's laughable. I just hope I can keep heading in the right direction, and by putting myself out there maybe open up the dialog and start a conversation about something that I (and so many other people) have struggled with for years. 

I think I'm finally ready for a change.

If you read this entire post, bless you. But even if you didn't, it feels good to finally get it out.

Love,
Steph

7 comments:

  1. Steph, your beauty has nothing to do with your weight. You have a kind and gentle soul. Good Luck with the weight loss, but dont make it your focus. Maintainnyour beautiful soul and the rest will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!!! I will help you however I can. Running is great way to exercise but remember to stretch before and after! You can do this!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Steph! Proud of you working towards your goal and being brave enough to post this. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a runner and I know how much it can help emotionally. It is a good way to unwind or begin your day. You can listen to praise music or just pray during a run. And you have a great road to follow up there in the Poconos. I love your thoughts and yes, it is good to get it out. We love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for being so honest - many of us are walking parallel paths :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rock on girl :). Pumped for beach running and workouts :)

    ReplyDelete