Sunday, May 15, 2016

Snail Mail


I'm a huge proponent of snail mail. I mean, who doesn't love being greeted with a handwritten card tucked in among the standard junk mail and bills that usually fill our mailboxes? In this day and age of digital everything, I think there is something so special about this simple act of letter writing. I absolutely love sending mail. I'm a total stationary snob, and I probably spend more money on cards and stationary and stamps in one year than I do on shoes. 1Canoe2, Rifle Paper Co., and Emily McDowell are three of my all time favorite companies for everything paper-related and beyond (including but not limited to cards, planners, notepads, phone cases, meal planners, recipe boxes/cards, etc.), and 1Canoe2's annual 50% off sale (which occurs for one hour only on Black Friday) is right up there with Christmas as my favorite holiday.

But anyway, cards. I love them. I always have. I love receiving them, and I love sending them. For a long time, I saved every single birthday card I ever received. Really... every. single. one. I finally went through and purged a large number of them, but still save any card I deem even remotely sentimental.

A few years back I decided I wanted to send out birthday cards to all of our close friends and family members. I set out to gather all the necessary birthdates, and made myself a little spreadsheet (nerd). A few days before a new month begins, I check out all of the birthdays coming up in the following month, and I spend time picking out a card for each person from my stash. I then fill them out, address and stamp them, and write the birthdate on the back of the envelope so I know when to stick each card in the mail. This simple act, which usually takes me maybe 30 to 45 minutes each month, has become one of my favorite rituals. Once I send them out, it really doesn't matter to me if the person thanks me for the card or never says a word about it... I just like the gesture of letting our loved ones know that we were thinking of them and remembering them on their birthday.


In addition to my monthly birthday card routine, I try to send out a few cards each month to people just to say "hi". I found these notecard sets in the dollar bins at Target recently... how am I supposed to say no to cute little sets of eight notecards for $1 each?!


So anyway, my challenge for you this month would be to write three letters to three different people. They don't have to be long - just buy a card or a postcard or even stick a piece of scrap paper into an envelope and send it. Reach out to a friend you haven't seen in a while, a grandparent, or whoever. I guarantee it will bring a smile to their face.

Happy writing!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment