Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Quilting

So a few years ago I decided I wanted to learn how to quilt. No one in my family quilts, but Matt's grandmother makes beautiful ones for every family member, and I love how her quilts (and the quilts of her mother before her) can be passed down as family heirlooms for years to come. I had seen some incredible modern quilts floating around on Pinterest, and I set a goal to learn how to do it. My mom gave me a gift certificate to a local quilting shop in my hometown for Christmas is 2012, and in January of 2013 I started a class.

I can't even tell you how much I fell in love with it. The whole process - choosing beautiful fabrics, cutting the fabric, piecing the top, quilting the layers together, machine and hand binding the edges, embroidering personalized name tags for whoever I was giving it to, and finally passing it on to the recipient - totally captivates me.

Since then, I've worked hard to make baby quilts for most of our close friends and family members whenever they're welcoming a little one into the world. This is the one I'm currently working on. I won't post a full picture until I've given it to the parents to be, but I'm totally enamored with it and can't help myself from posting a sneak peek.

[ #Gingham #PopOfOrange #Swoon ]
Here are a few of my other favorites from the past:


One of the things I love most about quilting is the little community I've found. And contrary to popular belief, this community doesn't just consist of little 80 year old women. I'm amazed at the amount of young women (and men!) around my age who blog and Instagram their quilting projects. Here are a few quilts I've pinned on Pinterest that inspire me whenever I start a new quilt. I'm really into the neutrals and black & whites lately!






Doesn't it kind of amaze you what can be done with just a little fabric and a sewing machine?

Now my goal for 2016 is to actually complete a full or queen-sized quilt, since until this point I've only made baby quilts. I'm hoping that actually posting this here will hold me accountable, and hopefully I'll post back with the final result before 2017 rolls around :)

Thanks for reading!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment